SPECIAL POLICE UNIT FOR NORTH EAST REGION
Delhi Police on recommendation of M.P Bezbaruah Committee set up a special police unit for North East Region vide Standing Order No. 383/2014 on 14.02.2014 based on “Zero Tolerance Policy” for tackling problems being faced by North East people in Delhi.
The Unit is headed by a Joint Commissioner of Police who is also a Nodal Officer, assisted by a Additional Commissioner of Police and other executive as well as ministerial staff. At present its office is temporarily functioning at PTS Complex, Malviya Nagar, New Delhi as its permanent office at Nanakpura, New Delhi is under construction.
In accordance with the above standing order, the SPUNER Unit incorporated all DCsP of the districts as nodal officer in their respective jurisdiction. There are 64 selected North East Residents called (DPNERs) to assist the Delhi Police in handling problems of North East people especially to work as language interpreter and 32 practicing advocate from North East have been empanelled by the Delhi Legal Service Authority (DLSA) for rendering legal aids to north East people free of cost.
In order to reach out to North East people, a dedicated helpline No. 1093 is functioning 24X7 and efforts being made to make it a toll free call. Besides this, North East Cell with dedicated team with mobile vehicles are functioning round the clock on receipt of calls through land line No. 011-26569656 and also created web page/whatsapp groups for information sharing and prompt action.
The main objective are:-
- To help North East People in hour of need and to build confidence among them so that they can mingle with the main stream people Delhi.
- To monitor and coordinate with the district police upto police station levels for ensuring proper registration/investigation of the cases in which the victims are from north east and for ensuring their safety and security.
- To sensitize Delhi Police.
- To sensitize the employers of the public and private sectors for giving equal treatment to North East people.
- To create awareness among main stream people about North East region about its people, culture and traditional etc.
- To organize coordination meetings with the Resident Commissioners in Delhi
- To organize coordination meetings with the Hospitals for giving medical treatment concessions to the poor North East people.
- To organize coordination meetings with the commercial air services for carrying human remains on concession/free of cost.
- To organize coordination meetings with the labour department regarding salary payments especially in the unorganized sectors.
- To organize coordination meetings with the Resident Welfare Association (RWAs)/ House owner regarding fixing of uniform/ reasonable house rents etc.
- To organize coordination meetings with the NGOs, community leaders & student leaders to share problems of North East People.
- To participate community programmes like festivals.